From the beginning
All my life I was told go to school and work. So that is exactly what I did. I got my bachelor degree in graphic design and immediately got a job in the field. Over the years I moved up in my career and did really well for myself. About 10 years in I started to feel burnt out. On top of my 9-5, I was always doing side work in the evenings. I found myself not being excited about my day job. I dreaded waking up in the morning. I remember one day texting my husband, my soul is dying. Funny, but not right? I didn’t feel like my skills were being challenged. I didn’t want to be an art director. I didn’t feel like I was making an impact. I didn’t want to change jobs because I knew in 2 years I would feel the same. I felt stuck. A year after this feeling, I had my son. Oh man, did those feelings intensify! I thought this can’t be how life is supposed to be. Not only that but I saw so many people around me in their jobs unhappy, unhealthy and stressed. I did not want this for my son. I want him to live with purpose and intention. I want him to know that he is in charge of his life. He can make life whatever he wants it to be with hard work and determination. For the next year, I buckled down, worked day and night while being a mommy and wife. I decided to only focus working with the same kind of determined entrepreneurs. I pushed back on my goal date to leave my 9-5 because I didn’t feel ready. Six months later I decided it was never going to be a good time. I had to leave my job while I had the guts and the momentum. There’s no better time than now to start living life your way.
Is it easy? Heck no!! But I am constantly learning and being challenged. The greatest of all is I get to work with amazing people that are making their mark and they are making a difference in others people's lives. I love seeing them succeed and being part of their journey. It’s inspiring and invigorating.
Best part of being a Designer boss lady
- Connecting with other believers
- Making my own schedule which means,
- Having more time to spend with my son and husband
- My clients become new friends
- Being able to help someone else's vision come to life
- Playing with fonts and colors!
- Creating things that I actually want to design
- Having a sense of purpose
- Adding value
- Working in my pajamas if I want to :)
Fun facts about me
- I was a premature baby, born 3 months early at 1.4 lbs! Crazy, right!? My parents tell EVERYONE the story.
- I was a tribal belly dancer for 7 years. I handmade most of my costumes.
- My favorite movies growing up - The Labyrinth and The Never Ending Story.
- I love the idea of magic, fairies, mermaids, vampires and witches.
- I'm a mama to a toddler. He's a mama's boy and I hope he always is.
- My husband and I love old horror movies.
- My favorite bands - The White Stripes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
- Favorite shows - American Horror Story, Bates Motel, Wayward Pines, and Stranger Things. Yeah, I'm a little dark and twisty ;)
- Obsessed with anything Joanna Gaines.
- I never thought I would leave the comfort of my day job. Immediately after leaving I got rid of all my corporate clothes.